Friday, December 12, 2014

Fire Cider for Colds

This one has some pucker power.  It would have to with ingredients like apple cider vinegar and horseradish.  But it's highly praised for helping with colds by every herbalist under the sun.  My kids and I all had some today because we are battling a persistent cough and cold in the littlest three.


Fire Cider

1 medium onion, chopped
5 cloves garlic, crushed
4T. freshly grated gingerroot
4T. freshly grated horseradish root
Apple cider vinegar (unpasteurized)

Combine first 4 ingredients in quart size jar.  Add vinegar to just about the top.  Put on counter and shake daily for 4 weeks.  After 4 weeks, strain out vegetable material and bottle the juices back up.  Take 1-2 T. at first sign of cold, and repeat every few hours.  For kids use 1-2 tsp.  

Quick note: In my picture above I haven't added the horseradish yet, so it's not as full as it should be. Also, horseradish is seasonal and can be very hard to find.  My first batch I found some in jars by the meat in the grocery store.  The only issue with this is that there was added salt, but I took a risk to complete the recipe and it worked just fine.  But fresh is always best if you can find it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment