Monday, November 24, 2014

Book Ideas for Christmas Presents {Plus what I'm Reading}

My kids do not need more things for Christmas.  And as a Christian, I personally get a little frustrated with the idea of gifts at Christmas if we are supposed to be celebrating Jesus.  Because even in a Christian home, it is hard to fight against the excitement of presents and focus on Christ.  (Even if he really was born in Spring and not December 25th!)

This year I am thinking books.  Surprised?  Probably not.

Ava loves to read, and Owen loves to be read to.  And so do the littles.  Books are the perfect solution.

Here are some fun ideas.

1. Puffin in Bloom books
                         
I can't even handle it.  I ordered Heidi for my personal collection, and am fighting the urge to order all the rest.  I haven't bit the bullet yet because I own the other three books but not such pretty ones. I maybe could justify it if I ordered them for Ava for Christmas.  She just finished A Little Princess, which I forced her to read and she ended up saying it was one of her favorite books.  Here on amazon for $12.  Steal.                      

2. Penguin Drop Cap Collection
         
Again, gorgeous.  The giant letter on the front is the first letter of the last name of the author.  So the A book is Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen.  I actually bought the A book for Christmas for Ava because it's one of my favorite books, and since the cover is a huge A like for Ava, it was a total win-win.  These are about $18 on amazon.  These will be more appropriate for older kids, since most of them are mature classics like Moby Dick the "M" book since it's by Herman Melville.

3. Big Nate Books

We read one of these out loud to both Owen and Ava, and I have to tell you there were a couple of times when I was crying, I was laughing so hard.  Owen of course thought they were amazing.  They definitely have some boy humor, if you get my drift.  About $10 on amazon.

4.  The latest Diary of a Wimpy Kid

You'd probably have to be pretty sheltered to not know about the Diary of a Wimpy Kid books.  Not to mention the movies, which all my kids love.  This is the 9th book that just came out this month. Right now the hardcover is $8 on amazon.  Ava is getting this one from my parents.

And just for fun, what I am currently reading right now.


1. Drums of Autumn, the Outlander series continues for me.... I really like it, but just a fair warning, it's quite full of sex.  I just skim past it if it get's too nauseating.  And it does, but I still love this series.

2. Kristin Lavransdatter.  I am going to be honest- I was really excited about this book, Nobel Laureate Sigrid Undset wrote this trilogy, now compiled into one book.  But then I read the Wikipedia summary of it, and now I am less excited about it.  But with reviews like this: 

"No other novelist, past or present, has bodied forth the medieval world with such richness and fullness of indisputable genius.... One of the finest minds in European literature."

I may have to ignore what I remember from the summary and keep going.  I am only about 50 pages in.

3. Wildwood I bought this book because I thought the cover art was charming.  The story is as well, although I am not finished yet. Written for a younger audience,

4. The Apothecary Another confession, I bought this book because I saw it in a photo of the bookcase of Modern Mrs. Darcy.  Love it.  It's a charming book for a younger audience and ties in well with my love of herbs.  Plus there's a sequel.

Any great book suggestions for kids or adults I should know about?

No comments:

Post a Comment